Tuesday, July 8, 2008

MY CHILDHOOD






















I have this wonderful memory of my childhood. During summer all the fruit trees were filled with fruit, their branches hanging with the weight of glorious summer bounty. I loved the peaches, their fuzzy, beautiful complexion. Their branches were so full of huge peaches that they would have to be propped up with stakes. I remember many a morning going out to the peach trees and picking off my breakfast. Peeling the fuzzy skin with my Swiss Army knife and indulging in a juicy meal. There was two peach trees not far from our back door...the easiest victims! :) But there was one other peach tree...it was a little farther. This was "the grandfather" peach tree...old and sturdy. There was wild mint growing up beneath the tree. How wonderful to step up to the tree, with cool dirt on my toes and the scent of crushed mint underneath. Slowly making way for the warm smell of peaches, ready to eat.

No comments: